Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Journal #2: How I get aruond here in America


My sister, who used to live in LA, told me that I will need a car in the USA especially in the south California before I came to the USA. I thought the USA is a developed country; the public transportation should be very convenient. Probably I won’t need a car in the USA. My sister told me that the California government focuses on building freeway, so the freeway network is well developed; but they don’t really care about the public transportation. “You will see what I am saying.” she said.
The first day I just arrived here, my sister’s friend went to the LAX to pick me up. I saw trains, buses, and taxis on the way to my home stay’s house. I still though that the transportation looks pretty good, and I could take the public transportation to any where. I told my sister’s friend I probably don’t need a car; I will use the public transportation living in the USA. Then she told me “Don’t be silly. Living in the south California without a car just is like you lose your legs.”
The third day after I arrived here, I already planed to get a CA driver’s license because I had decided to buy a car. The reason why finally I decided to buy a car is that I realized a car is really important here. I don’t like to walk an hour to the nearest supermarket, and I don’t like to spend one hour and take two buses within couple miles to school. I realized not only the public transportation isn’t convenient but also the land of the USA is too large. Finally, I got my small lovely hatchback car, so I and my wife became free in the USA.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this articles..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you're describing is California. Back east there is better public transportation, and you don't have to walk so far to get to supermarkets and things; stores and apartments are close to teach other. But out here in the wild west, we have a lot of room to stretch our legs - and drive our cars. :-)

    ReplyDelete